Thursday, November 29, 2007

Back to the C-I-T-Y

We're headed back to New York City for a visit in 2 weekends. We had such a great time in August and we decided that we really wanted to experience it at Christmas time. And we each had $200 vouchers from being giving up our seats last time we went! My husband's parents are also going with us. My sister-in-law (their daughter) works for an airline and her parents get to fly for free on standby. So it's become somewhat of a family trip, which should be a lot of fun.

I just booked tickets today to see The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee* on Broadway. It looks like a fun musical and we got great seats! They even pick people from the audience to be a part of the spelling bee. This show is right next the Gershwin Theater, where I've seen Wicked twice (my favorite musical EVER). Both times I went to see Wicked I noticed this show and thought that I wanted to see it.

I'm going to do some research now to find a couple of restaurants that I want to try out. I am such a planner and I have to research everything before making decisions. We ate at a great Mexican place in August and there's a Turkish restaurant that is outstanding. We take our food very seriously - that will no doubt be a big part of our trip!

And very importantly - I just got an email that there are 2 Garrett Popcorn locations in New York. They make the most amazing caramel popcorn. They are based in Chicago and my mom introduced me to them when I went with her to Chicago a few years ago (my mom grew up there). I've been back twice since then and had to make a stop at Garrett's both times. There are literally lines out onto the street of people buying popcorn. I joined their email list thinking someday I would order it online to surprise my family, but I haven't yet. But now, I get to go there in New York!

I don't know what our other plans will be, definitely taking in Rockefeller Center and some of the other sights. Maybe going ice skating? So many options!!

*I came in 4th in my school spelling bee in the 4th grade. I missed on the word scientist. I spelled it sciencist. Kind of ironic I ended up being an engineer (while at least got an engineering degree). Anyway, it's funny to me that I never forgot that. The top 2 kids from each class got to be in the spelling bee. We were all in the gym auditorium and there were parents there and everything. I think my parents were there, I'll have to see if they remember.

No comments: