Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Nervous Mom

Sage is at doggie day care and I could spend all day watching the doggie-cams to make sure she's okay and getting along with the other dogs. This is the 2nd time we've taken her to Recess for the day and we also boarded her there when we went to New York for the weekend. Sage is very timid around other dogs and also around people, so we thought it would be good for her. Last time they had to put her in a separate kennel towards the end of the day because she got scared.

I had a long talk with the owner this morning about how Sage is doing. He is like a dog psychologist, it was really interesting. He said bringing her up there was like throwing someone who's afraid of swimming into the deep end. That was not very reassuring to me. I'm now worried that we're traumatizing Sage. It doesn't help that she's probably the smallest one there. We did decide that we'll try it a couple more times and see how it goes. It may just be that she doesn't like it and that she actually would prefer being at home in her crate during the day. Actually, I'm sure she would prefer being at home laid out on our cushy comforter during the day, but we just can't leave her out like that yet.

There's a day care specifically for small dogs in Decatur, but that's way out of our way for normal days (Recess in on my way into work). We're going to leave Sage at the small dog daycare for the weekend when we go to New York next month. For now though, she's learning to play with the big dogs.

I can only imagine how nervous I'm going to be when I have to let my kids go out in the world on their own for the first time...

UPDATE: Sage did great today! She stayed out with the other dogs all day. When I got there I got to watch her through the window and she was just prancing around in the midst of a group of big dogs! I'm so happy, now I'm a proud mom!

1 comment:

Nanette said...

That doggie-cam idea sounds really cool!